|Group:||Member Experience, Engagement, and Legal|
The Staff Attorney will support NAR’s Legal Affairs Team’s efforts on a variety of legal issues affecting NAR’s members, the real estate industry and the operation of a trade association. The ideal candidate is a positive, detail-oriented professional, with strong legal research and writing skills, and is familiar with the real estate industry.
Due to COVID-19, all NAR employees are currently working remotely until further notice. Once NAR employees return back to the workplace, all employees will be expected to return to our Chicago or DC office, including the candidate in this role.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Provide ongoing legal counsel to various NAR groups, teams, affiliates and subsidiaries.
- Review, analyze, negotiate, draft and otherwise advise staff with respect to contracts and RFPs to determine the most favorable terms and protections for NAR, its affiliate or subsidiary.
- Research, identify, analyze, and keep current on legal issues and laws, legislation, regulations and court decisions affecting NAR’s members, the real estate industry, and the operation of trade associations and not for profit corporations.
- Develop risk management and educational materials for publication, and identify new legal developments of interest to NAR and its members.
- Present legal education programs to NAR members, local and state REALTOR® association executives, association legal counsel, and NAR Staff.
- Other duties, as assigned.
- Juris Doctor Degree (J.D.) with current license to practice law in good standing in the state where position is located, or ability to quickly obtain in-house counsel license.
- 3-5 years of relevant experience at a law firm or in-house counsel position is strongly preferred, although all qualified candidates are encouraged to apply.
- Must have significant complex contract drafting and review experience.
- Outstanding leadership and analytical skills.
- Demonstrated ability to collaborate with internal and external teams.
- Exceptional communication skills; ability to present to large groups with poise and confidence.
- Results oriented with high attention to detail and the ability to multi-task, prioritize and manage deadlines in a dynamic, fast-paced team environment.
- Ability to think in innovative ways to find creative solutions to problems.
- Positive attitude, with strong customer relations and interpersonal skills.
- Expertise or an interest in antitrust law, intellectual property, political law, litigation, and/or nonprofit tax law a plus.
- High level of proficiency with technology, including command of Microsoft Office - Outlook, Excel, Word and PowerPoint.
The National Association of REALTORS® (NAR) is a team of professionals dedicated to providing world-class service to over 1.4 million REALTORS® working in the United States and around the world. The real estate industry is fast-paced and fast-changing--each year, our members participate in the sale, lease, and management of billions of dollars in real estate. As in every industry, our members’ value proposition is constantly being challenged by innovation.
It is our mission to help REALTORS® navigate that change and thrive in their careers. We cannot do that without the ideas, passion, and commitment from our talented employees. As our greatest assets, employees are offered their pick of competitive benefits/perks and flexible work options. Our most successful employees are committed to our Core Values, which are:
Advancing diversity and inclusion